Monday, September 12, 2011

Healthy Habits: Fridge Favourites

I did work in an office, once upon a time, and I used to eat healthy even back then! Much of my diet was the same, despite the fact that it is now organic and higher in good quality fat (and much lower in tinned food). There are staples that you will always find in my fridge at home and these can always be stored in your office fridge at work. We want to avoid the temptation to buy things from the cafe of the vending machine. One trip to the local supermarket near your office means you have a well stocked work fridge at MUCH lower cost and it's all healthy!

Coles sells bags of organic carrots and apples. I go through one of each every week. I make my own hummus from organic chickpeas, lemons, garlic and tahini - but coles also sells a light hummus, tzatziki AND a fabulous beetroot and mint dip that you can put with your carrot or chosen nibbling vegetable. Tomato salsa is another excellent dipping choice, as is cottage cheese if you eat stuff that comes from cows.
There is ALWAYS natural sheeps milk yoghurt in my fridge. I use it as the base for my own dips, I put 100g with a sliced up apple or pear or with any kind of berry as a snack, and I put it over my soaked rolled oats for breakfast. Any natural yoghurt is great to have in the fridge to put with fruit at any time of day. Combining your fruit with the yoghurt gives you a little bit of fat and protein to slow both the digestion of the fruit and the blood sugar response to the fruit sugars.

I spoke about keeping a stash of boiled eggs last week - but you of the meat eating persuasion could keep lean, low fat turkey or ham slices in the fridge to snack on as well.

I hope you've enjoyed this week's installment of healthy habits! Do you have any other fridge favourites?

Next week, we'll put some nutrition into your desk drawer :)

Tell me what you're thinking people! I want to know if you're out there..

2 comments:

  1. I'm here! I work in an office which is luckily away from take-away or vending machines, but I still like to bring good food to eat during the day.

    I am all for yogurt, especially with muesli and a passionfruit if they are in season.

    A little bit of natural peanut butter is good for dipping too, I have a place close by that makes it with plain peanuts, which is far yummier than the regular store-bought kind.

    I have a super sweet tooth, so I keep some prunes in the cupboard. Sounds weird, but they are sweet and tasty and have heaps of fibre.

    I also make up some guacamole and keep it in a container for dipping or for sandwiches or to top Ryvitas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hihi Um_v! They all sound like great snacks with lots of good fats :) Sounds like you have achieved a healthy weight and are enjoying maintaining it!

    ReplyDelete