Sunday, January 1, 2012

Transitioning from 2011 to 2012

Its quite difficult for me, as someone so intently transfixed on forward propulsion, to look back upon 2011 and take stock of the year that was. I'm going to do it, though, because the reflection is always so rewarding.

Last night was spent with good mates and beautiful food, secret champagne, perfect weather and spectacular views. We headed home after the 9pm fireworks but I managed to wake up and watch the midnight display on TV. I have had a very hard week of training, however, and today I'm completely wrecked. My right hip and calf are smothered in deep heat and my scheduled 2 hour easy ride has been postponed til tomorrow in order to rest today.



With the help of Tom Skulander and Eddie, I learned to ride a bike! With the help of Geoff (and his patience..) I have developed skills and trained harder than ever in my life. With the help of TADNSW, I've had all the equipment I needed for training. Mickster is the best training buddy ever and makes sure I never have an excuse not to head out because I'm alone. Today, I can confidently call myself a cyclist. I'm fitter than I ever have been. I'm an athlete. This is my reality.

I helped Ed buy an apartment, I gave up my cherished single life and asked him to move in with me and in ONE WEEK we will be living in our new Waterloo abode. I'm going to miss Randwick so much! I need to be free of the burden of rent, though, and we need a new beginning. There's a whole life transformation in process here (again). I'm kicking off a month of twice a week yoga to help ease the transition, along some super clean eating. No dairy, sugar or grains until Australia Day. The story continues...

I found my calling.. twice. Maybe even 3 times... It started with helping people as a personal trainer. Then I ran a series of motivational talks for Mission Australia on behalf of Fit for Good. I started helping people with different needs on an entirely different level and experienced the amazing satisfaction of volunteering. That, and David Rothwell from the Amputee Association, are what lead me to my mission to open Accessible Wellness. As the year rolled on, I had become Ambassador for Fit for Good at Common Ground Camperdown, and finally to Lululemon Ivy!













On January 30th, Ed and I are off for our first EVER real holiday! We booked it a while ago, because we realised that the piggy bank was about to dry up. We're off to Fiji for 5 days to do nothing but RELAX. Coach has warned me that those last weeks of January are going to be punishing!

In order to pursue my dreams as a cyclist, as a speaker and as an "Accessibility Activist", I have ended my career as a personal trainer in Fitness First. Big changes are ahead, as well as some tough times financially, no doubt. I do have fantastic support and guidance around me, so I'm not terrified... Just mildly anxious! The Leaders of Tomorrow program kicks of with 2 days in Brisbane in February, and I'm expecting to feel much more centred at the conclusion of the retreat. Huge thanks to the amazing Lisa Champion and my best supporter Bill Webster for writing the recommendations that got me invited to participate in the program.

I have LOTS of big goals and plans for 2012 - like my first time trial at Calga in March AND my first time as a bridesmaid in Feb (hi Avanti!) - but I can't tell you anything about them yet. Some things are still top secret. 2 weeks time, that all changes, so watch this space! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment