Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Maintaining Motivation

Last time I spoke at Mission Australia, the audience asked that I send them through my top tips for maintaining motivation. I think that's a great thing to share on my blog, so here they are!


My Top 15 Tips to Keep you Motivated:

  1. Keep checking that your goals are specific and achievable.
  2. Break your goal into pieces with a timeline as your road map to success.
  3. Make a lists of the tasks you need to achieve each day and set reasonable time frames.
  4. Keep your daily list short and plan well in advance.
  5. Take stock of the tasks you do achieve each day and be proud.
  6. You are your best friend, so positive thinking and encouragement are key.
  7. Visualise: see yourself achieving your goal and your rewards frequently; e.g. see yourself graduating, working your new job, living in your new home, playing with your children.
  8. Use visual aids like goal boards and written reminders hung in obvious places.
  9. Check your progress regularly, congratulate yourself on your wins and work around set-backs.
  10. Tenacity and perseverance are CRUCIAL. You must be persistent, stubborn and selfish about what you want to achieve: don't EVER give up.
  11. Seek help quickly when you have questions or when problems occur: take action and don't procrastinate. Just keep moving!
  12. Nothing worth having in life comes easy or cheap, so be willing to struggle sometimes. It’s what makes you tougher and builds your character!
  13. Do what you love and love what you do (learn and work!), life is too short to feel negative emotions when we can choose happiness. Be involved and be active!
  14. The more you talk about your studies and share it with your friends, partner, colleagues, the better your network becomes and the stronger your connection to your goals grows.
  15. Use journaling to analyse problem situations and face your dragons to break negative cycles.

I'm back over at Mission next Tuesday to talk about the importance of our relationships.


I'm also in for a minor operation tomorrow which means that I won't be able to teach spin or do any cycling for 3 weeks. I'm planning on doing lots of walking, yoga, writing and even a few dance classes. I've been feeling like life has gotten control of ME instead of vice versa lately, so I'm hoping this little break gives me the opportunity to take it by the horns.

3 comments:

  1. These are all really great tips. Many of them are ones I have seen mentioned in books and by my TAFE teachers. Hope your operation goes well and you'e back on your bike again soon. <3 Miss Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my motivation girl! Just knowing you inspires me every day! Your success makes me want to succeed. Don't worry, no pressure there... lol! Seriously, you know from our talks on the mount, you really make me feel good every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the lovely comments, ladies, both touched my heart <3

    ReplyDelete