Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Serendipity

Last Wednesday morning at 10:05am, less than 48 hours after my previous post, a gentleman who was starting his workout approached me on the gym floor and asked if I could tell him my story. I replied that I was on my way to a meeting but gave him my card. 


Luck had it that the meeting was cancelled and I was able to go back and have a very interesting conversation. He asked me if I was interested in public speaking. I said it was my dream. He asked how I lost my arm. I told him my story. He is the CEO of a financial services organisation and interested in my motivational capabilities.

The outcome of the 40 minutes that we spent together is that he intends to have me trained in public motivational speaking and has events already earmarked for me to present at. I have been tasked to research the prosthesis that would best serve my requirements and to start working towards breaking the record for one-armed push ups. 

It dawned on me at the conclusion of our conversation that, one day very soon, I will ride a bike. I could be on my way to being a role model. This brought me to tears, completely overwhelmed and needing to be pinched.

With cautious optimism, I sent out an email to my close friends to say what had just taken place. We are all so excited about what lies ahead.

Since last Wednesday, I have completed 50 push ups. That was Saturday. I still hurt! The record is 105 in 10 minutes. I reckon I'll go for 120 - by Christmas. 

My next meeting with this gentleman (who shall for the time being remain nameless) is scheduled for Monday 12/07/2010 at 11:30am. I'm also meeting a prosthetician the following day, to spec out my exact requirements.

Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Deb,

    One of the DJs we've been hiring at Hellfire is a motivational speaker on the international circuit. He lost his arms and legs when he was 21 or 22 (all of them). He's now a DJ, and an amazing man. Perhaps you'd like to talk to him?

    http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/thebridge/colourfulsydneyidentity/tom-nash--hookie.aspx

    Lovely to hear of your chance meeting!

    Regards,
    Ultra
    The Hellfire Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Deb ... what a fabulous chance encounter!!

    Looking forward to hearing more :)

    xJen

    ReplyDelete